25.1.12

25 on the 25th


Today is the only day ever that this will happen, so I might as well enjoy it. I have turned 25 on the 25th. I don't know why that means something, I don't think it really does, but it seems cool. So I'll go with it.

I've never been much for celebrating my birthday. In high school it was torturous, every morning they would announce the birthdays of the day for the day. Then I would walk around for the rest of the day having people that rarely spoke to me say Happy Birthday as if they were my best friend. Needless to say, I hated it.

College and post college birthdays have been a little better. I've had a few good friends along the way that have made them special. From Ice skating to an adventure in New York City and this year a wonderful girls night.


On the day I was born the Giants won the Super Bowl. My dad, being, well, my dad went out and bought commemorative shirts and sweat shirts from the Super Bowl. Usually I wear my "birthday shirts" on my birthday, I know, it's a little cheesy and silly. But it is what it is. I love this shirt. It's so perfectly worn and soft. Someday I'm so scared it will fall apart. It will be such a sad day, but for now it is my birthday shirt. 


Other things that happened on this day in History.
1533 - Henry VIII marries Anne Boleyn.
1787 - Small farmers in Springfield, Massachusetts led by Daniel Shays, revolt against tax laws. Federal troops break up the protesters of what becomes known as Shay's Rebellion.
1846 - The dreaded Corn Laws, which taxed imported oats, wheat and barley, are repealed by the British Parliament.
1904 - Two-hundred coal miners are trapped in their Pennsylvania mine after an explosion.
1915 - Alexander Graham Bell in New York and Thomas Watson in San Francisco make a record telephone transmission.
1918 - Austria and Germany reject U.S. peace proposals.
1919 - The League of Nations plan is adopted by the Allies.
1929 - Members of the New York Stock Exchange ask for an additional 275 seats.
1930 - New York police rout a Communist rally at the Town Hall.
1943 - The last German airfield in Stalingrad is captured by the Red Army.
1949 - Axis Sally, who broadcasted Nazi propaganda to U.S. troops in Europe, stands trial in the United States for war crimes.
1951 - The U.S. Eighth Army in Korea launches Operation Thunderbolt, a counter attack to push the Chinese Army north of the Han River.
1955 - Columbia University scientists develop an atomic clock that is accurate to within one second in 300 years.
1956 - Khrushchev says that he believes that Eisenhower is sincere in his efforts to abolish war.
1959 - American Airlines begins its first coast-to-coast flight service on a Boeing 707.
1972 - Shirley Chisholm, the first African American woman elected to U.S. Congress, announces candidacy for president.
1972 - Nixon airs the eight-point peace plan for Vietnam, asking for POW release in return for  withdrawal.
1984 - President Reagan endorses the development of the first U.S. permanently-manned space station.
1987 - Super Bowl XXI (at Pasadena): New York Giants 39, Denver Broncos 20

Born on January 25
1759 - Robert Burns, Scottish poet ("Auld Lang Syne," "Comin' Thru the Rye.")
1882 - Virginia Woolf, English author (Mrs. Dalloway and Orlando).
1933 - Corazon Aquino, president of the Philippines.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...