12.1.12

the foundation

I think this was my third time reading through the The Foundation. I know, it's a rather odd book to have read multiple times. I think the reason for the multiple reads is two fold. One being I have a slight obsession with remembering as much of something as possible. That means I re-watch and re-read pretty much everything I enjoy. I know, strange obsession. The second reason is that it is the first science fiction book I'd ever read and enjoyed. Trust me, I read it kicking and screaming, but I did and fell in love with Asimov. Since I have read The Foundation Trilogy and many of his short stories. I'm hoping that maybe this year I will read another Asimov book or two. 

So, what are some of the things I love about this book. Oddly, it's fun that it reads a bit like a history book. But it's as if you are reading an historical account of an alien world, which, I guess you kind of are. 

I'll be entirely honest. There are some parts of this book that I don't understand. Maybe it's more I loose my attention span a bit, or it just gets too technical or something. But I understand the gist of the story and enjoy it. 

I think of The Foundation Trilogy this first book is my least favorite, but I think it's important to review what had happened, before reading the next two books. If I remember correctly, the next book in the Trilogy, The Second Foundation, is my favorite. I can't wait to re-read that one in a bit, but first for a new book or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...