8.1.12

pride and prejudice and zombies


As I've said in my Death Comes to Pemberley review, I love Jane Austen. I've heard so many great things about Seth Grahame-Smiths reinterpretation of the classic Pride and Prejudice that I was excited to read it. 

I'm going to be honest and say that excitement only lasted a handful of chapters. I'm not sure what keept me from loving this book. It was well written, captivatingly adapted, but there was something about it that didn't keep me wanting to turn the page. 

I read it in spouts. Like I said before, the first few chapters I had high hopes for the book. I was enjoying the witty additions of zombie slays. As the book went on I just got lost. 

Part of the problem may be that I have read Pride and Prejudice a few times, so I know it maybe a little too well. Another part of my dislike is that it I think the book was written for guys. Which does not always mean that I wouldn't enjoy it, but this time it did. 

I think one of my draws to Austen is the way she writes. The flow of her words are so beautiful. In Pride and Prejudice and Zombies this beautiful flow of words was mixed in with a different style sometimes the book felt disjointed. 

It was a good book, and if someone were to ask me about it I would tell them to give it a try, but man did I have trouble getting through it. 

Maybe when it comes to Austen, I'm a bit purist. But I'm ok with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...