13.9.11

cookie cutter

In a culture, society, and with men who tell women they are only beautiful if they have long hair it sometime takes a little longer for the women who short hair works better for them to come to terms with it. (and yes, a man, or maybe boy would be a better description,  has actually told me that I would be less attractive to him if I cut my hair)
09-13-11_002
Trust me I was a die hard long hair girl for years. With long blonde curls going to my elbows. The only problem was it was always up, braided back or in a pony tail. Kind of a waste of long hair. With short hair I can embrace it's true beauty. And what guys tend to forget is that a women is so much more beautiful if they can embrace their own beauty rather then fitting into a mans' cookie cutter of beauty.
Every women is different. We all have different hair, different eyes, the shape of our head is not the same. Some are tall and some are not so tall. Some women where lots of make up, so much your not even sure if there is a face under there. Others where no make up at all. The list of differences goes on and on. Our interests, desires, hopes, dreams. None of us is a cookie cutter. But why do guys insist on attempting to squeeze and squish us into a form and shape that we can't fill.
Probably, TV has a lot to do with it. We these women with their weaves and their fake lips and perfect barbie starved bodies.
Sorry, I guess that's my little rant against guys with cookie cutter ideas of beauty. And we all know that it's not just guys who have this cookie cutter beauty in their mind. Women really can be just as bad, but it is hard when the ideas of beauty don't get to come from inside of you, that it has to come from every outside point of view imaginable. It's exhausting sometimes.
09-13-11_003
I guess the best way to end this rant is with a quote. It's a quote that comforts me when I am frustrated with the imperfections inside of me.
"I am a princess. All girls are. Even if they live in tiny old attics.
Even if they dress in rags, even if they aren't pretty, or smart, or young.
They're still princesses. All of us. Didn't your father ever tell you that? Didn't he? "
Sara Crewe, A Little Princess (1995)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...