13.9.11

will there ever be a winner?

I found this interesting article tonight.
Google-vs-facebook-slapfight
For me, Facebook is for "everyone I've ever meet". Since college, for some of us, Facebook has been where we build our contacts. It's where we create events to get together.  It's where we say happy birthday to that girl we meet once at some event and then forgot about. It's where we stalk our ex's and maybe even start a new romance with another person that we thought was cute and added as a friend.
Google+ is for people who I actually want to hear what they have to say, at least for the most part. For the people in my life who I genuinely want to hear what they have to say. To see where their lives are going and how it is right now. I love the control it gives you. That you can so easly not show those people that you only know a little bit about the boy that just broke your heart, but share with the world the picture you just took of your puppy.
I think I disagree with the idea that people only have space for one social network in their life, but maybe i'm the anomaly. After all I'm involved in 4 blogs (in one respect or another) Twitter, Google+, Facebook, and who knows what else.
In a way I don't think that Google+ was really meant to "replace" Facebook right off the bat. Just as Google Buzz wasn't meant to replace Twitter, at least not in my eyes. I think that Google is trying to make following people and their social networks easier. It is to enhance your experience, not replace. You can connect your blog, tweets, what you read, what you care about, etc, to a single place.  Google reader makes it easy to share the cool things you find on the blogs you follow, one thing that Facebook doesn't even come close to having. Google is a one stop shop. It makes it so much easier when you can go to one place and catch up on "everything" that person is involved in when it comes to the Internet. Not to mention chat and check your e-mail!
But then that is how I see it.
And I'm obviously no expert.
I think the real problem is that Google allows many options and ways to connect so many different networks, yet doesn't really "show" or encourage it to be used that way. Not to mention that Google+ is trying to attract a select crowd, the die hard google users, the people who are involved with lots of social media and those who want to keep up with other people who are the same. Where facebook lets them all in.
In a way I think that the "one stop shop" is ahead of it's time. I know that Facebook has that option as well, but with less control of who you share with (or at least more hoops to jump through to control anything).
The lack of adds is extremely refreshing as well, and if Google+ can keep ads out of it's design, in the long run, Facebook might just go down.
But again. What do I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...