7.12.11

popsicle stick bracelets.

I found this project on pintrist, and backtracked it to The Pink and Blue Blog. I ended up modifying it a bit, compared to the original tutorial, but I am happy with the results.

First, I microwaved the popsicle sticks in microwavable container and water, until they were soft and pliable. I think it ended up being around 6-7 min.  




Next, I carefully (they are HOT) bent the popsicle sticks int a glass
 (They needed to be microwaved a little longer. most of the popsicle sticks broke when I tried to bend them into the glass. Some of them were because of ill placed knots in the wood, but I guess that's another story.)


After they are completely dry... and I mean completely. I left them in extra just to be sure they were good and dry. I took a few out too early and they started to flatten out again. Take them out and break out the drill. (I don't know if my cup wasn't the right size, or the popsicle sticks weren't long enough but mine won't say on by themselves. So I'm turning my into bangles.)


Make sure you have something to drill into, and a small enough bit. I cracked one because the bit was too large.


I drilled two holes in the small popsicle sticks. And one in the large ones. I'm going to make them both a little differently. I found it was easier to hold the wood and let the bracelet curve around the wood. Next time I'm going to pre-drill holes before soaking them. 


So here are my popsicle sticks ready for the next step! (The larger tongue depressors I had used in as stir sticks when I was dying some yarn. It gave them some interesting coloring.  I'm very excited to see what more I can do with them.)


I finished off my lovely popsicle stick banges with embroidery floss. 




I made each a little different. I still have a few more to experiment with. But I am very happy at how these have turned out. 


I'm in particular love with these. The dyed sticks add an additional level and give them the a uniqueness. I think the addition of the buttons is a cool look as well... But then, I'm a sucker for buttons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...