6.3.12

the help


I wasn't quite sure how I would feel about this book when I started. I tried to go in with as open of a mind as I could. After the frist few chapters I didn't want to put it down.

The book is written from three different points of view. What was strange about it was the change of perspective rarely overlapped, it just changed and started at approximately the same place. Every once and a while I had to take a second to remind myself from who's perspective I was reading, but over all I had no issue with the switch. The perspective switched between two African American women and one white one. Without the change in perspective I'm not sure this book would have had the same effect. Seeing the storyline from different angles made the story more full.

If it had just been told from one of the three sides there would have been a lot of lost information. It is interesting, that all three sides had a African American rights point of view. Minny and Aibileen were the help, and Miss. Skeeter was a young white women with an enlightened perspective. By far Aibileen was my favorite point of view. There was something in the purity of her voice that I loved. She had unending faith and it showed.

There were a few characters that I felt I wanted more from, or had wished further interaction with others, but over all I felt that each cliche southern woman and gentleman was portrayed quite nicely. I think this is defiantly a book that in the future I will want to pick up and read again.

Now that I've read the book, and enjoyed it, I am more excited to watch the movie then I was before.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...